Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I found an apartment! It was actually one of the complexes I looked at on Monday but initially wrote off as being out of my price range. I saw a couple of other apartments yesterday that were more expensive but offered fewer amenities or too much extra space, and made a sort of gut decision about the first place. It is easily $100 less than my projected budget for rent, offers the perfect amount of floor space, and is located in a very nice area. Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology is apparently right down the road, and the complex is within easy distance of a number of jogging/bike trails and shopping. It's not as close to campus as I would have liked (I had this idyllic fantasy of riding my bike everywhere, whizzing down sidestreets while some cheery, busy theme by Thomas Newman provided the soundtrack), but it is not an unreasonable drive either. I move in on Saturday. Todd and my parents are coming down to move the heavier things (and to bring me my glasses, which I stupidly left at the apartment in Valpo) and to help me start nesting.

This afternoon I took care of renter's insurance, as well as the water and electric accounts. I feel very responsible. This whole experience has taught me that I am capable of doing so many things I never thought possible. Not that setting up a water/sewage account is any great feat, but I've never had to take full responsibility for something like that before. Most of the time I'd just ask Todd to take care of it for me, then write the check when the bill turned up in the mail. But now I'm responsible for myself. Getting out there -- feeling capable -- and asking the right questions really makes me invested in this transition process.

I had a great day at work today, too. We start classes tomorrow and I will be paired with a "mentor teacher" until Tuesday of next week, when I will take control of two classes of my own. I am nervous, but also incredibly excited. There is so much potential here. It will be a lot of work and I am sure that not all of it will go according to plan, but I am working with a great group of people and -- more importantly -- in a profession I love.

The rest will fall into place.

2 comments:

  1. Yay apartment! And good luck for the first day of classes.

    ReplyDelete