Friday, January 28, 2011

It's the end of my second full week of teaching and, to be perfectly honest, I'm plum tuckered out. Some activities went well, and others did not go as well as I would have liked. In either situation, I feel as if I am getting to know my students a bit better -- I am learning what they like, what they respond to, and how I need to structure certain activities to get the best/most responses. I've learned that you can spend an entire evening building what you are sure is going to be a great lesson, only to find out that you overshot the vocabulary, or forgot a step, or missed the target completely. It's very humbling. It's also the nature of the job itself: teaching is such a dynamic, organic process that it's virtually impossible to anticipate how well/how poorly something will do.

And in the end, maybe it's not so much a "failure" as a "learning experience." It's not the fault of the students; it's probably not even your fault as a teacher (although I tend to want to shoulder that responsibility, mostly because I'm the one standing up in front of the room). It's just the way that a real, live classroom functions. Expect the unexpected.

Also. I posted an alternate version of this on my Tumblr, but this has generally been my attitude toward lesson planning this week (in super geeky .gif form):

Monday:
Photobucket


Tuesday:
Photobucket


Wednesday:
Photobucket


Thursday:
Photobucket


Friday:
Photobucket


Here's to the weekend! :D

1 comment:

  1. I'll never stop loving your .gif posts. They give me such a vivid idea of what your mindset is. XD

    You're doing so well, dear one! I'm beyond proud!

    ReplyDelete